Monday, January 26, 2015

Day 26 of 30! Painted furniture is painting... right?

Two years ago I painted an aluminum butterfly sculpture/statue for the local Rotary Club's auction to raise funds for Art Education in Colorado Springs.  The butterfly was clear coated by Status Symbol Auto Body shop as the final step in production.  I loved what the automotive quality paint/enamel finish did to the butterfly, it made the paint just shine and sparkle and it gave it a depth that I liked.  Here's a shot of the butterfly while I was painting it.  It is big and I was impressed to see 20 of these big butterflies in the spray booth at the auto body shop, it was really a pretty sight.  Anyway, the butterfly project and the clear coat finish has been on my mind since then.




So on day 9 of this challenge I finished painting the top of an IKEA Lack coffee table, here's the painted table top:

Today, I picked up my tabletop from Status Symbol Auto Body Shop complete with automotive clear coat finish.  It was 65 degrees outside so I got to ride my bike and have my husband meet me there in the car to pick it up (followed by a lunch date for Pho).  I put the legs on it tonight and am calling it my painting of the day!




Ipad photos at night of a shiny surface are not my speciality, but I love this table!  The clear coat will make it hardy, they actually bake it on at the shop.  The legs just screw on/off and the top is lightweight so I could put a wire on it and hang it from the wall, a nice thick piece of art, no frame needed. I'm still having fun with this challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment